Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Let's Go Antiquing

I tried many times to get a picture of this quilt that I liked but I just couldn't.  Either it was raining or it was too hot or we were busy doing stuff.  I had a limited amount of time to.  I made this for my brother and sister in law.  I actually made it for Christmas for them but I had not quilted it yet. The plan was I would send it to them,  But then there was a quilt show in my area and I decided to enter it.  Not because I thought I would win but more about getting a hand written critique of it.

I started this quilt in May of 2012.  Basically finished it one year later.  I had posted some of it here
May 2012- the start


Here it is hanging in the show.  And what a show it was.  Over 500 quilts were entered. 
Then my brother and sister in law were planning to come in July, so I had to get a pic.  This one here was taken with my daughters holding up the quilt.  They are not to tall... 

The quilt is called, "Let's Go Antiquing".  My brother and sister in law are into antiques and every time they visit, I can rest assured that these are the words they will say while they are here.  And really its all there fault, that I, who was never into antiques, have a collection of milk bottles!

The star block is called Sun Rays and it is combined with an Irish Chain of sorts. "The Kansas City Star published this block in 1939, and columnist Nancy Page (that is, Florence La Ganke) reintroduced it under the name Darting Minnows in 1943." (Source: Field Guide To Quilts). Most people however, will know it as Sun Rays.  

The pattern I used to make this is called "Summer Dreams", by Darlene Zimmerman.  The pattern appeared in a McCalls quilt magazine in 1999.

And yes, the scalloped border was a pain in the...  It was well worth it though.  I love the look of a scalloped border.
A close up to show you the quilting.  I did freehand because that is what I like to do best.


3 comments:

Just Crafty Enough said...

Wow, it is really amazing to see how far your quilting has come. It's beautiful.

Katherine said...

Beautiful quilt, Baukje! I love your fabric choices, your quilting and the fabulous name. I'm sure it will be well loved.

Lori said...

Thank you, thank you.