Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Lamenting Lavender




Lavender Botanical Printable
For about five years now I have had some beautiful lavender out in my front walkway.  I wish I had taken more pictures of it. Sigh.
The lavender during a hail storm.

This past winter, this frigid, subzero, freezing winter, killed my lavender (and my 10 year old sage plant).  I have harvested lavender from my yard for a couple years now.  I use it to make sashes, bath salt mixes, decorate and freshen my bathroom and have even used it for cooking.

Instead of crying over spilt milk, or rather dead lavender, I bought some new plants last night.  They won't be as glorius as they were last year, but I will have lavender.

My Mother was/is such a great gardener.  Her backyard looked like a park, many beautiful flowers and beautiful layout.  She had a vegetable garden as well but my Mom loved her flowers.  She still does but doesn't necessarily have the strength anymore to tend to her garden.  The flowers have mostly been replace by hastas.




Now, me, on the other hand.  I love to draw flowers, they are quilted into my quilts.  I doodle them all the time. But as for my yard, I am a practical gardener.  So, most of the plants around here have some type of usefulness- quince, herbs, mint, lemon balm, raspberries, blueberries, aloe... and lavender.  It was my two fold experience.  Beautiful flower with all kinds of usefulness- even if it was just to smell and keep the bees happy at the very least.
A view of my front walkway from my window.

No comments: