Friday, May 8, 2015

Container Gardening

My garden helper.  She digs on demand.
Apparently, I have not been sharing very much.  Who knew a month could go by without me sharing anything.   Don't think because I have not been sharing that I haven't been crafting, because I sure have.  Not to mention the fact that I moved my sewing studio.  It's in a WAY better location however there has been a lot of moving, organizing and purging going on.

Also, gardening and yard work.  Too many irons in the fire as of late.  I am sure you have lots of things going on as well.  We all do! There is always so much to do.  I guess it really is all about what you make time for.  Either you can fit it in or you can't.

When I was a child no one planted anything before Memorial Day in this zone because there was usually a frost in May.  There hasn't been a frost in My for like forever.  The zones have changed, haven't they?  This year is the first year I took advantage of that and planted the first week in May.  This year I planted okra, kohlrabi, kale, collard greens, tomatoes, the usual herbs- basil, dill and a new one- Thai basil.  I cook Thai so I thought I would give it a try.  My thyme is very happy in this home of mine.  It has come back three years in a row.  It was suppose to be annual but I guess it is pretty hardy. 


I use to have a pretty large garden but I could not keep up with the weeds so we ended that.  Now we have two container type gardens.  Its good enough.  We have a great public market nearby and lots of farmers around town so there is plenty available, gratefully!

I propagated basil from some hydroponic basil I found at the supermarket. It didn't work as well as I thought it might but I did get two plants out of it.

No comments: