Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hanging Bike Tote

 

My expectation was to be posting all kinds of crafts this summer on my blog.  Well, I don't think we have stood still long enough to do a craft.  By the time we do get home long enough, I am exhausted.



This one I did alone while my daughter played on Club Penguin and Reflex Math.  Two great sites. 




Right now they have games for Scare University.  They are promoting their, Disney's, new movie, Monster University.  My kids love this game.

Reflex Math is through our school.  If your school does not participate in it then I highly encourage you to ask your school to consider it.  I am sure there is other programs out there as well.  The kids and I are really thrilled with Reflex Math though.



A screen shot from Reflex Math- the menu of games that can be played there.

Some of you out there may think that summer should only involve the kids playing but I think some studies should be kept up.  Number one is reading. They lose a lot of headway if they fail to read all summer.  There are all kinds of fun ways to incorporate reading into summer.  You can go on a scavenger hunt with clues written out- riddles of sorts.  

Or you can join Barnes and Noble summer reading challenge.  They read so many books and at the end of summer get a free book to reward their efforts- how cool is that? Libraries often have summer reading challenges as well.

Math is important.  Flash cards are a great way to keep up and if you can do a program like Reflex Math - all the better.  Many great apps for fun math are available as well.

  ReviewThis pic is from Math Blaster.  My kids like this one too.  You can do a Google search for great math apps or of course directly on your app store from whatever tablet you have.



Here is my simple design for a bike pouch.  Make a standard square tote-ish bag.  Make the top contrasting almost as big as the bottom.  Sew sides. Fold a 1/4 inch down from top and fold inward covering the attching seam. 

With the bottom open, sew in a round of fabric that has some stabilizer in it and has been covered with fabric on both sides.  Sew it in to bottom portion of bag. Zig zag all the edges.

Attach straps on bag with velcro to hook onto bike.  A little bit of velcro in the middle so that the bag can stay closed to protect those cool things they may find on a bike ride.

FYI - proud Mama moment- I found that awesome bike (above) at a garage sale, tread still on tires- 40 dollars.  It was a win situation for me!

No comments: