Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Summer Fun and Chair Cushion Tie Ends

So, here is what I have been doing all summer.  Well, one of the things.

While I miss my quilting, I have been totally enjoying every blessed minute of summer and being with my kids.  That's not to say that they don't drive me crazy from time to time- mainly due to them arguing together (periodically).  I really enjoy taking them places and watching them have fun and it does really help with them arguing.  Not to mention I have more than one minute of conversation with my friends.  Almost no interruptions.

Believe it or not- on the Fourth of July before my family came over, I recovered this chair cushion.  Call me cray-cray.  But I got it done and it felt so good because it was totally bugging the hay out of me for far too long.
I want to tell you about tie ends and what to do with them.  Mine always seem to look out of whack or have frays or whatever hanging out.  Sometimes I get it right...  Anyway, this way works pretty well without a ton of bulk either.  I think pressing is super important when it comes to ends.

First:

Fold the fabric in half to find the middle.  Then fold down diagonally to meet the middle.
Second:

Fold and press towards the middle for the length of the band.  If you wanted a flat end and would not have bulk you could fold that point in.  But since I was working with upholstery type fabric I chose to leave it pointy.
Third:

Fold over and press.  Sew closed starting at point.
A few days later, I decided to dress it up with a chair cover. Not the best pic but you get the idea. And yes, in the background, there, down on the right, is a project I am working on which I hope to share with you when I figure it out. 



No comments: